Website 116th Air Refueling Squadron
KC-135 Boom Hiring Information
Thank you for your interest in the 116th Air Refueling Squadron. Please review the eligibility criteria and
requirements below to determine whether you are a qualified applicant. If you have questions regarding
eligibility criteria, please call the Chief Boom at 509-247- 7135 / DSN 370-7135.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit their application package based on the application
process listed below. A mailed hard copy is preferred. If emailed, please have all documents in a single
file. We accept applications continuously and have hiring boards for both new boom candidates and
prior service boom operators on a unit need basis.
Applicants who are selected for interviews will be notified via telephone or e-mail. Interviews will take
place at the 141st ARW Operations Group, Building 2005, Fairchild AFB, WA. Interviews will be
conducted via a formal military board and the uniform of the day will be full service dress. Selected
applicants who are TDY or otherwise cannot attend, may be afforded a teleconference / telephone
We look forward to hearing from you!
To be considered for an interview applicants must:
1. Achieve a minimum ASVAB General Score of 55.
2. Be able to attain a “Top Secret” clearance and meet security requirements of AFI 31-501.
3. Be able to enter formal training within 12 months and attend approximately 4-6 months of training
outside of Washington State.
4. Height must not be less than 64 inches or more than 77 inches.
Before Attending Boom Initial Qualification (BIQ), selected applicants must:
1. Qualify medically IAW AFI 48-123 and successfully complete a Class III flying physical.
**Eye Sight – correctable to 20/20**
**Normal Color and Depth perception**
2. Meet fitness requirements IAW AFI 10-248.
After completing all formalized training and returning to the 141st ARW, members must:
1. Reside within two hours (driving) of Fairchild.
2. Be available to fly a minimum of four times a month.
3. Attend monthly drill weekends unless excused by the Squadron Commander.
4. Perform a minimum of 15 days of Annual Training, potentially away from home station.
5. Be available to participate in: an annual deployment of 30-60 days, an annual week long inspection,
participation in Hard Alert, evaluations, and other mission readiness activities.
Please arrange and submit, in the listed order, AT A MINIMUM, the items listed below:
1. 141 ARW BIQ Application (link below).
2. Resume with Cover Letter
3. One page letter explaining why you want to fly for the 141st ARW.
4. Copies of last three AF Form 8s (Prior Service Flyers Only).
5. Copies of any supervisor Appraisals / Performance Reports (if available).
6. Letter(s) of Recommendation (optional).
7. Record Review RIP and Point Summary.
8. Fitness Assessment Results.
9. Any other items that you feel pertinent.
1. Aircrew Fundamentals- Lackland AFB, TX- 2 weeks
2. Boom Operator Initial Qualification (BIQ)- Altus AFB, OK- 14 weeks
3. Combat Survival School (SV80)- Fairchild AFB, WA- 3 weeks
4. Water Survival School (SV86A)- Pensacola NAS, FL or Fairchild AFB- 2 days
5. Mission Certification- Fairchild AFB, WA- 16 weeks
Click on the attachment “Save As” from the menu. Once the application is
saved to your computer, fill it out and include it in your application package.
If you have any questions about the hiring process or the Boom Operator career field, please call or
email the 116 th ARS Chief Boom:
Phone: (509) 247-7135 -or- DSN 370-7135
Fax: (509) 247-7110 -or- DSN 370-7110
116 th Air Refueling Squadron
Attn: 116 ARS/DOB – Chief Boom Operator
901 W Arnold, Bldg 2005
Fairchild AFB, WA 99011-9143