Hello everyone,
I recently joined Bogidope and am looking for insight from current or former ANG RPA pilots, particularly those familiar with non-prior accessions or unit hiring.
A little about me:
- 30 years old
- Non-prior service
- B.S. in Urban & Regional Planning
- Master of Urban Planning
- Currently lead a multidisciplinary team of 22 personnel
- Support National Guard Bureau initiatives and have worked with ANG Wings across the country in a planning and program management capacity
My long-term goal is to serve as an ANG RPA pilot through OTS, with the 163d Attack Wing at March ARB as my primary unit of interest.
The aspects of the RPA mission that most appeal to me are its emphasis on operational decision-making, crew coordination, mission planning, and the ability to contribute meaningfully to a unit over the long term. I can go on and on about my appreciation for the airframe and its operational use.
I am currently beginning the AFOQT process and plan to obtain some introductory flight experience.
For those who have been involved with ANG RPA hiring or selection:
- How often do you actually see non-prior applicants successfully hired into ANG RPA units?
- What characteristics tend to differentiate successful non-prior candidates from the rest of the applicant pool?
- How much aviation exposure is generally considered "enough" for a candidate who is specifically pursuing RPAs?
- If a candidate has a clear first-choice unit, is it smarter to focus energy there or maintain active conversations with multiple RPA units simultaneously?
- Looking back at candidates who were selected, what gave the unit confidence they were worth the training investment?
- Still figuring out how to get off the grown with the application process so insight on that would be appreciated.
I understand every unit is different and that timing plays a major role. I'm simply trying to learn from those who have seen the process firsthand and make sure I'm approaching it professionally and realistically.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Hello all,
I am 28 and currently in a career transition from law enforcement to aviation. I am working on finishing my PPL at the moment. My goal is to apply to an ANG fighter position next year (2027). If anybody on here is familiar with the 107th, I would love to chat.
I am also open to any career-transition advice. My main concern at the moment is my age. Being 29 at the time of application next year, I worry I might be a bit too old for a fighter unit. I understand each ANG unit differs on what they want for age. I was curious if anybody here had any information specifically pertaining to the 107th.
Thanks!
Hey everyone. So many of you know I was hired as a CSO a couple of years back. I ran into trouble at MEPS. Basically had to wait two years until the unit told me I would have to apply again at the next board. Recently, they invited me to visit again (just me) and told me that Age Waivers are a blanketed no from the big Air Force and they are denying all Age Waivers. They said on the pilot side a few guys they hired recently were very qualified (good test scores, either CFIs or Airline) and were all denied age waivers. One was hired at 35.
I'm 34 so very much in age waiver territory. I know if this door has closed, I'm trying RPA and ABM as well, which I believe RPA you can get hired without a waiver up until 39 (or 40?) I've seen ABM job posts that say must be under 40 (under minimum qualifications). Not 100% sure on there. Maybe ABM is more age waiver friendly?
Weird thing is Googling "Age Waivers Denied Air Force Pilot" I don't see much out cry about people having an age waiver denied. Only one post from Air Warriors (navy) from almost 20 years ago which he was told to apply again. Other than that just 40 something year olds trying to enlist and being told no waiver. But nothing from rated. This does make me wonder if there is more to the story?
Not saying that they are lying but maybe it's a quota thing? Right now they simply having too many pilots/CSOs and too many people trying to go rated and not enough taking the non-rated officer positions? I was offered to change to apply for MX Officer.
Maybe more info needs to be done to look at this?
Hey everyone,
I'm probably at risk of asking a question that has already been answered but here it goes.
I'm looking to brainstorm ideas on how I can better network for UPT applications. I do not have a mentor that could help get my foot in the door to meet and greet/rush squadrons, I have been cold calling and sending emails to recruiters for the wing but the majority of the time I hear nothing back. Are there other ways to tackle this that I'm not considering? I feel that my application is solid but I seem to be getting no traction and I feel like I'm missing something.
Hey everyone! Just checking in to see if anyone has heard back from the Alaska Air National Guard 176th Wing regarding their upcoming join pilot board.
Has anyone received interview invitations, notifications, or any updates on the timeline? I know these things can take a while, but I figured I’d see if anyone has heard anything yet.
Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
Hey everyone,
I’m turning 30 soon. I have 9 years prior service enlisted in the USMC and ARNG. I’m about to take the AFOQT and TBAS, If I can get highly competitive scores, I plan on immediately starting my PPL. At the same time I will start applying to units. As my hours increase I’ll update that into my applications, but I plan to apply right away. I only want to fly fighters (which I know makes it much harder), but I’ll apply anywhere in the country.
I won’t have a PPL until I’m near 31. Do I need to give up the dream to fly fighters? I’ve worked so hard for this already, but I just can’t do anything about my age. A lot of people are already telling me it’s already too late.
Hello everyone,
My name is Austin and I live in Daytona Beach, Florida and I have a strong passion for aviation. Ever since I was 10 years old I've wanted to be a pilot and would stop at nothing to make it a reality. After some hardships and determination I earned my PPL in 2022 and recently my instrument rating this year. I have accumulated almost 300 hours of flight time. However, my dream is to fly in the air force but due to my weight and grades I thought i couldn't do it. Last year i reached out to a reserve recruiter and was denied due to my weight (I was 250 pounds then). Now i weigh 208 pounds and only a few months from graduating college with a 3.3 GPA. What I really want to know is if I have a chance at a guard unit at 29 years old and if my flight experience will help in the selection process? Also, what is a great study tool for the AFOQT? Thanks everyone in advance!
Hi all,
My name is Andrew and I’m a CPA based in Georgia - a Georgia Tech grad (3.9 GPA), currently working in accounting/finance. I’m about to start my PPL and I’m setting my sights on a UPT slot through the ANG or AFRC, aiming for C-130s.
I’m here to learn as much as I can about the application process, what boards are actually looking for, and how to build a competitive package (AFOQT/PCSM prep, networking with the squadron, timeline for getting hours in before I apply, etc.).
If anyone’s gone from civilian to ANG or AFRC, especially into C-130s or similar airframes, I’d love to hear how you approached it. I welcome any advice or coaching. Looking to apply within the next 1-2 years, hoping to learn a lot from this community!
I'm putting in applications to a variety of ANG units (MQ-9, C-130, OA-1K, etc...) but I'm too large to consider going through UPT in the T-6 or T-38. (Currently 6'7" and 300 lbs). I've already received my Commercial, Multi, and Instrument ratings and have just under 200 hours. Has anyone heard of an alternative training or direct to platform option?
Hello everyone! I just joined BogiDope.
I planned to pursue an Air Force pilot slot after college, but my brother became very sick (for years in the hospital) and my dad lost his job, so I put that dream on hold to help my family.
Six years later, thankfully, my family is now healthy and stable.
I’ve always wanted to be a fighterpilot since I was a kid and that has never gone away.
There’s an Air National Guard fighter squadron only four hours from home that I’d love the opportunity to fly with.
My background:
- Got my BS Degree in Government/National Security with a 4.0 GPA
- Earned my black belt, joined the instructor team, and helped instruct throughout high school
- Did CrossFit in college
- Started at the bottom of my family’s company and worked my way up to Director of Operations over staff in 3 countries
- Founded another company that currently has six employees
- Have spent the last several years in daily leadership and management roles
The tradeoff is that I spent those six years working and supporting my family instead of flying, so I’m essentially starting from scratch in aviation.
I’m now 28.5 years old with just 1.5 flight hours—one hour in a fixed-wing aircraft and 30 minutes in a helicopter.
Am I too late to realistically compete for an Air National Guard fighter pilot slot?
Should I pivot to an Army Warrant officer pilot slot?

